WellElder is a program available for older adults living in affordable housing communities in San Francisco and San Jose. The goal is to maintain the health and well-being of residents in those communities and avoid admissions into higher levels of care or premature institutionalization. The WellElder program provides a link to existing health and social programs that are designed to address health issues within the community. An on-site “Health Educator Coordinator” works directly with residents to provide:
- One-on-one health assessments
- Advocacy to help navigate the health care system
- Referrals to community social and healthcare providers
- Medication management and advice
- Educational and instructional programs that boost residents’ capacities for self-care
Through the program, residents may access other services which strengthen their abilities to remain at home and in their community of choice. Residents choose programs and services from the array of available programs in the greater community.